A Dubai/Abu Dhabi visa is required for South Africans travelling to United Arab Emirates and takes up to 5 working days to be processed.
Non-stop flight time from Abu Dhabi to Johannesburg is around 8 hours 45 minutes.
Fastest one-stop (non-direct) flight between Abu Dhabi and Johannesburg takes close to 11 hours .
Airlines you could consider for flights to Abu Dhabi
- Etihad Airways – direct flights from Johannesburg
- Emirates Airlines – direct flights to Dubai (90 minute transfer from Dubai Abu Dhabi)
Favourite things to do in Abu Dhabi
- Ferrari World – Ferrari World Abu Dhabi is an award-winning amusement park on Yas Island in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. It is the first Ferrari-branded theme park and has the record for the largest space frame structure ever built.
- Abu Dhabi Desert Safari – With everything from a dune bash, sandboarding, and camel riding ready and waiting for you in the sands, this tour lets you experience more than you could do in the same time if going it alone. Plus, you get a desert barbecue, belly dance show, and hotel transfers as finishing touches.
- Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque Center – This architectural work of art is one the world’s largest mosques. The largest mosque in the country, it is the key place of worship for Friday gathering and Eid prayers. The Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque has seven imported chandeliers from the company Faustig in Munich, Germany that incorporate millions of Swarovski crystals.
- Louvre Abu Dhabi – The Louvre Abu Dhabi is an art and civilization museum. The museum is a collaboration between two cultures to the dazzling architecture that combines French design with Arabic heritage.
- Formula Yas 3000 – Climb into the driver’s seat behind a 3000cc V6 engine and practice your driving technique on an F1 race track. Get suited up in full racing gear, rev up the high performance engine, and let loose, as you learn professional tips and navigate the track with an experienced guide.
- Saadiyat Island – Abu Dhabi has some of best beaches in the UAE and on Saadiyat Island, it is most evident at the exclusive Saadiyat Beach Club. Get a day pass and enjoy all the activities and dining options available at this outstanding resort.
Featured Hotel in Abu Dhabi
The number one hotel ( as per trip advisor) to stay in while visiting Abu Dhabi is the Emirates Palace.
Located in the heart of Abu Dhabi, the Capital of the United Arab Emirates and only 40 minutes from the airport, Emirates Palace is grand in both its design and myriad of offerings. From a 1.3 km pristine beach, landscaped pools and a private marina overlooking a natural bay, Emirates Palace is perfect for a once-in-a lifetime holiday
A lavishly imagined dream, Emirates Palace offers you a magical location to enjoy the quintessence of award-winning 5-star luxury hospitality and authentic local experiences.
This is a destination with almost year round sunshine, little rainfall and near perfect winter temperatures. Abu Dhabi has a sub-tropical, arid climate. Sunny blue skies and high temperatures can be expected most of the year. Rainfall is sporadic, falling mainly in winter (November to March). Temperatures range from a low of around 13C (50F) on a winter’s night, to a high of around 42C (118F) on a summer’s day. The cooler months, November to April, are the most pleasant time to visit, when temperatures are around 24C (75F) during the day and 13C (56F) at night.